New Year = New Beginnings.
It’s time to start the New Year feeling refreshed and focused, ready to take on the year ahead. Consider some of these ideas as you kick-start your New Year.
- Make a bucket list of things to try in 2019. Make a list of simple things such as “eat more vegetables” or specific goals like “go back to college.” Check off the items as you complete them throughout the year. The list provides a visual reference, helpful when setting goals.
- Tidy up your space. Clean the house, tidy up cluttered areas in the house, throw away garbage, put away items that are out of place. Clean out the car – get rid of trash and sort through the console and glove box. Delete unimportant messages from your email box. This way you will enter the New Year feeling neat and organized.
- Strive to improve sleep habits. This includes getting more restful sleep and developing patterns of sleeping and waking up around the same time each day. Improving daily sleep will help you feel focused and energized throughout the year.
- Keep friends close. Use social media to keep in touch; also schedule time to be with friends. It is healthy as well as important to find time for meaningful relationships with others.
- Practice the one-a-day principle. Reach out to at least one person a day and do something special for them (aka “good deed for the day”). You can make a difference in someone’s life.
- Do random acts of kindness as often as possible. Random acts of kindness are small, deliberate actions that bring happiness to other people’s day. This is a great way to start off the New Year on a positive, compassionate note.
- Include a positive affirmation in your daily routine. Positive affirmations are simple, short sentences or phrases repeated to oneself during the day such as “I can do this,” or “I am capable of challenges.” Positive affirmations can boost self-esteem.
- Aim to try one new thing every month. Strive to get out of your comfort zone at least once a month. Choose to do something you’ve never done before or learn about something brand-new. You will expand horizons and grow as a person.
As 2019 approaches, consider one or more of these ideas to kick off the New Year. As you go through 2019, focus on the things you accomplish and how much growth you experience during the year. The goal is not to be pressured to complete all the resolutions on your list by the end of 2019. It’s more important to be kind to yourself and others, and to allow your life to evolve. If you do, then you may experience your best year ever.
Information is from the following articles:
“44 Ways to Kick-Start Your New Year” at https://www.success.com/article/44-ways-to-kick-start-your-new-year
“How to Start the New Year Fresh” at https://www.wikihow.com/Start-the-New-Year-Fresh
By: Mary Shepherd, Family and Volunteer Coordinator